Learn about the types of meters and metering options, if your business intend to buy electricity from a retailer.
There are two types of electricity meters:
- If your business is currently buying electricity from SP Group at the regulated tariff, you are likely to be using a cumulative meter to measure electricity consumption. SP Group sends meter readers to your premises to record your electricity usage from cumulative meters.
- Cumulative meters are read once every two months. On the month where your meter is not read, SP Group will estimate the month's consumption based on a methodology approved by the Energy Market Authority.
- Advanced meters, also known as smart meters or Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) meters, allow electricity consumption to be measured at half-hourly intervals. With these meters, manual reading and estimation of electricity consumption will no longer be required.
- Consumers with advanced meters can view and download their half-hourly electricity usage when they sign up for an e-Services account.
- There are two types of AMI meters - single-phase and three-phase. The type of meter required for your premises depends on your premises' voltage intake level.
You can contact SP Group at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1800-233-8000 to find out which type of meter is installed at your premises.
Business consumers who wish to switch to a retailer will need to install an advanced meter (also known as a smart meter).
The advanced meter will allow you to measure your electricity consumption every half-hour. A meter installation fee of $40 (before GST) may apply.