Learn about the types of meters and metering options, if your business intend to buy electricity from a retailer.
There are two types of electricity meters:
- If your business is currently buying electricity from SP Group at the regulated tariff, you are likely to be using a cumulative meter to measure electricity consumption. SP Group sends meter readers to your premises to record your electricity usage from cumulative meters.
- Cumulative meters are read once every two months. On the month where your meter is not read, SP Group will estimate the month's consumption based on a methodology approved by the Energy Market Authority.
- Advanced meters, also known as smart meters or Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) meters, allow electricity consumption to be measured at half-hourly intervals.
- Consumers with advanced meters can view their half-hourly electricity usage on the SP App.
- There are two types of AMI meters - single-phase and three-phase. The type of meter required for your premises depends on your premises' voltage intake level.
- To empower households to use electricity more efficiently, advanced meters will be installed across Singapore by 2026.
You can contact SP Group at email@example.com or 1800-233-8000 to find out which type of meter is installed at your premises.
Business consumers who wish to switch to a retailer will need to install an advanced meter (also known as a smart meter).
The advanced meter will allow you to measure your electricity consumption on a half-hourly basis. A meter installation fee (inclusive of prevailing GST) will be chargeable. Details are available under Market Support Service Charges.